POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs 24 Dec 2001 (beta 9) : Re: Known Bugs 24 Dec 2001 (beta 9) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:27:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Known Bugs 24 Dec 2001 (beta 9)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 30 Dec 2001 18:07:02
Message: <3c2f9e16@news.povray.org>
Some more notes and job numbers:

> Additional (?) blob bug
> (blob component disappears when radius is 317 or greater)
> http://news.povray.org/Xns9115B92CF7D8ACQ@204.213.191.226
> (also reported as: Blob rendering error (job000136))
> http://news.povray.org/Xns91203DC7F3CCQ@204.213.191.226

> Bug with blobs and media
> (possibly related to  blob surface develops holes when "radius" is very
> small)
> http://news.povray.org/3be5f0b2@news.povray.org

> Blob component textures transformed twize
> http://news.povray.org/3bf70645@news.povray.org

All three logged as parts of job000189.
(also probably not the same problems)

> sin(X)^sin(X) -> crash! (job000179 and job000180)
> http://news.povray.org/3baf7992@news.povray.org

Fixed in next beta.

> [bug] orthographic camera bug?
> (objects sometimes disappear when the orthographic camera is used)
> http://news.povray.org/3bdca5eb@news.povray.org

An even simpler scene for this would really help.

> Jpeg and memory problem during animations (job000194)
> (It seems that some memory is not properly released between frames when
> a jpeg file is used)
> http://news.povray.org/3be2ef0d@news.povray.org

Fixed in next beta. (At least all known leaks there have now been fixed...)

> Black outline in smooth meshes
> (The outline of smooth meshes exhibit black dots or areas (which go away
> with double_illuminate))
> http://news.povray.org/3bf6794e$1@news.povray.org

Does this have something to do with surface normals?  The current behavior
might actually be correct...

> User_Abort_Command
> (User_Abort_Command does not seem to work at all)
> http://news.povray.org/Xns913D9F7268736seed7@povray.org

This might just be a user error.  Need details what users do and what they
expect.

> First report from bugreports
> http://news.povray.org/u12outsm2kso3k5ef4lp26ogm5cvsm46ge@4ax.com

Please change this to:

Error in VRand_Object
http://news.povray.org/3bc423e5[at]news.povray.org
<<<

> Re: trivial question on topic
> (Poly Object Bug: heart has a dark line of artifacts)
> http://news.povray.org/3BEBEB4C.CA854309@pacbell.net

Logged as job000038.

> Camera is off by half a pixel
> http://news.povray.org/3bccc696@news.povray.org

Will be changed in a future beta of 3.5 if #version 3.5 is used.

> Light_sources in light_groups don't cast shadows
> (rendering without light buffers (-UL) puts the shadows back)
> http://news.povray.org/3bfd4d63@news.povray.org

Logged as job000197.

> Save during render
> (is very slow)
> http://news.povray.org/jhaiduce@engin.umich.edu

I am not able to find this on the server.

> double_illuminate only works with direct lighting
> http://news.povray.org/3BF6F1FE.D21B0C6@oreka.com

Has not been confirmed.  Might just be a user misunderstanding.

> no_image, merge and shadows
> (setting no_image to an object in a merge causes that object to stop
> casting shadows)
> http://news.povray.org/vqfd0ucm5276q9j8sdh34afjliapc1kj0n@4ax.com

Logged as job000198.

> Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7?
> (isosurfaces with "evaluate" are now very slow)
> http://news.povray.org/3bdf24b3$1@news.povray.org

Already fixed in beta 9.

> Isosurface : 2 bugs
> (int() causes crash)
> http://news.povray.org/3c082dbe@news.povray.org

This was fixed in beta 9 but due to a usability problem did not make it into
source code used to build beta 9 versions other than the Mac beta 9.  It can
be removed once beta 10 is out.

> IsoCacti.pov
> (displays 754 evaluate warnings, most with incorrect values)
> http://news.povray.org/3c08c36c$1@news.povray.org

Fixed in next beta.

> Re: triangle texture interpolation
> (the second texture is on the first point and the third texture is used
> on the second and third points)
> http://news.povray.org/3C0A8288.DDA0905B@free.fr

Logged as job000199.

> Re: Workaround for function problems in beta 8 without scene file
> modification
> (using Include_Header in povray.ini crashes in some circumstances)
> http://news.povray.org/Xns9170BB3381723CoridonHenshaw@204.213.191.226

Same as function problems in beta 8.  Alreday fixed in beta 9.

> Crash with no objects in scene
> http://news.povray.org/3bd985b0@news.povray.org
> (also reported as http://news.povray.org/3C19B9EA.D2E16FBC@gmx.de

I cannot reproduce this.  Need to verify this bug still exists in beta 9.

> bug in sphere_sweep for removing parts of an object
> (discontinuous normals on inverse of sphere_sweep)
> http://news.povray.org/3C1A5D47.EA38F6E5@amc.uva.nl

Logged as job000200.  May or may not be related to job000176.

> color dot operators
> ((Color.red) doesn't work as a function parameter)
> http://news.povray.org/ofpr1ug9r6q3cak417pmj72bck6ufmgbtg@4ax.com

It does not work as *macro* parameter.  this is a very important difference.
Logged as job000201.

> Bicubic patch triangles disappear
> (When the triangles are fairly small)
> http://news.povray.org/3c23b26c@news.povray.org